Hey guys, I know it’s been a while, but I took a little break to work on a small side project that I’ve been thinking about for a while now. I occasionally play Magic: The Gathering but almost always forget to bring a life counter (20 sided die). I always have my phone though so I figured I’d just make an app for it. Last time I played, I brought a rough version of the app in and got some interest from other players. So I decided to polish it up a bit and put it up on the Google Play Store. It’s free to play and any feedback would be great. Here’s the store page and a screenshot:
It was a fun exercise but now I’m ready to get back to work on Data Dream!
Hello loyal followers!
Well it’s been a busy week. Unity came out with version 5.6 which, among other things, offers a whole new and improved system for playing videos/cutscenes. Naturally, I had to upgrade… Continue reading
Am I the only one who thought Sulu started with a Z??? Continue reading
Well folks, I’m happy to report that I’m just about finished with modeling and texturing the level that I’ve been working on. It’s one of the larger levels so I feel like it’s a pretty good milestone to reach. I certainly learned a lot while slapping these models together and had a couple epiphanies where I realized that I’m an idiot and could be doing certain things in a much more efficient way. Things like texture atlases… Oh well.
Anyway, the plan from here is to make up one more level, fill it out with NPC’s and create a playable demo. If that’s something you’re interested in trying, let me know! Otherwise, thanks for checking in, see you next time!
Hey Guys, I know I missed last Friday so here’s a quick snapshot from some of the work I’ve been doing on the level. Still a long ways to go, but I’ll tell you all about it in the next update.
Thank you for tuning in my loyal followers! If I remember correctly, I think that I left you off with the colorful tales of my trials and tribulations having to do with level design. That shenanigans aint no peach. However! I’ve come up with a few techniques that I think will be passable.
I’ve been going through the long and arduous process of cutting up the UV seams and painstakingly assigning each vertex to its proper place among the UV maps. I was just about starting to feel like a UV ninja when it hit me that I should be using atlas textures for the structures/repetitive elements of the levels. Now I feel very dumb again 😦
For now, since I’ve already made it this far, I’m just going to stick with the method I’ve been using for this level. Hopefully the game will still be smooth and I won’t have to start from scratch. But I will visit the concept of reusable textures in the development of the next level. Thanks again for checking in 🙂
Well folks, it has been a quite a week. As I mentioned in my last update, I’m getting started on putting together the second level and experimenting with some new techniques. Continue reading
I’m happy to report that both versions of the third level are nearly complete. As a matter of fact, they are complete, but I might like to add some polish later 😉 Anywho, this week I decided to spruce up the loading scene a bit. Up till now, it’s just been a blank screen with the word ‘Loading’ on it. Very exciting, I know, but I figured I could do better.
So last week, in an effort to break up the monotony, I began working on a new enemy to spice things up a bit. I had actually made his concept sketch a while ago but for whatever reason had put his development off until now.
In the last update, I mentioned that I would be giving modular assets a whirl as opposed to creating large levels out of custom/single use meshes. Well, I tried it, but wasn’t too Continue reading